Ok, so your home open numbers are down, and you don’t know what to do about it. Well, believe it or not, there is a lot that can be done to get people and prospective buyers to your home open. But before I tell you how, let’s first understand what home opens are designed for.
There are 3 main reasons for opening homes:
- To show the home at an appropriate time in the absence of sellers
- To meet new buyers and prospects
- To get feedback, whether that be positive or negative, from buyers regarding the property and a probable selling price in order to educate and erode the expectations of the seller.
Contrary to popular belief it is your responsibility to get buyers to the home open and there is no excuse for not getting as many as possible.
To help you, I have created 10 simple strategies to boost the number of buyers attending your home opens.
- PAINT THE TOWN RED
- What I mean by this is that you need to plaster the suburb with directional signs and as many banners and bunting as you can in order to attract attention to yourself and your home open. Many people in the neighbourhood are usually between things and always have a few minutes to spare. My wife is the worst for this. She is the biggest sticky beak in our suburb and loves going to home opens ad hoc and reporting back to everyone what she thought about the property and most of all what she thought about the agent.
- How do you get people to come to your dinner parties or BBQ`s? You invite them, it’s as simple as that. It is exactly the same with your home opens, you need to invite people to attend. I’m not talking about sending out 10 or 20 invites, I’m talking about sending out thousands, the more you invite the more will come. Now the best thing you can do with invitations is include a REASON. If you give people a reason to attend your home open, they will come in droves. This can be as simple as offering free coffee, cupcakes, macaroons, small gifts, anything you can think of. What a great way to fill your home opens.
- BOOSTED FACEBOOK POST
- Do you know how simple it is to boost posts on Facebook? For as little as $5 or $10, Facebook will allow you to select a target audience within the exact area or suburb of the home open. This means you will be getting in front of locals and prospective buyers while they are surfing Facebook. Remember to always give them a reason to attend!
- SELLERS TO INVITE
- If you’ve boosted the home open on Facebook, then it’s easy to get the seller to share that post on their timeline so their friends and family can see. The people most likely to move to an area are friends and family of friends and family. So not only are you now creating the perception of a popular property, you never know, one of them might actually buy it.
- YOU INVITE FAMILY & FRIENDS
- You can also ask your friends and family to share the Facebook post and invite them to attend the home open. Once again, give them a reason to attend, a barista coffee, a cupcake, small gifts. Again, this will create the perception of popularity which could lead to a buyer making an offer straight away.
- INVITE YOUR DATABASE THROUGH EMAIL & SMS
- This allows you to show off your amazing home opens to future sellers. It’s also another opportunity to boost the number of attendees. You can also set up a Buyer Alert System that will automatically single out those buyers in your database that fit the criteria of particular properties you are showing and send them all the relevant information they will require.
- HOME OPEN GUIDES
- These should be handed out at all home opens to all attendees, creating cross-pollination. What I mean by that is, people who attend multiple home opens throughout the day will collect these guides and show their family and friends or might leave one at another home open for someone else to pick up who may be interested.
- LETTERBOX DROPS
- Hit every letterbox in the suburb with your home open guides and all upcoming home opens. At Real Estate Brilliance we have created systems specifically for letterbox drops, making them less stressful and easier.
- While not everyone likes it, door knocking is a great way to get in front of people and personally invite them to come and enjoy a barista coffee and to give their feedback on the property.
- A great home open competition to run is the ‘Guess the Sale Price’ game. This can be used in all of your marketing material; your invitations, your social media posts, emails, text messages, and whatever other marketing materials you use. When running a competition such as this one, it’s important to offer a substantial prize for the winner/ When I used to run these, I’d give away a bottle of Moet.
The most important thing with home opens is getting people to attend. It doesn’t matter how you do it, just get them there.
For more tips and strategies on Home Opens, World Class Launch Parties, and creating the perception of popular properties, make sure you register today for my upcoming FREE half-day Real Estate Brilliance webinar